Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Lemon Curd

The 3 lemons were sitting in my fridge since mid May but I just couldn't find time to juice them. Let's just say "out of sight out of mind" :P

I needed some lemon juice for my cream cheese chiffon so I just juiced them all.


Recipe asked for 2/3 cup (approximately 156ml) but I used 170ml instead as I'm too lazy to freeze that balance 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. It turned out slightly sour but still alright.

I omit zest as DS2 doesn't like any zest in my bakes.

I get 3 bottles, small, medium and large. Kept the large for myself, gave away the medium to SL and small to inlaws.



Goes well with a nice warm toast :)

Lemon Curd
85g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
225g sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice (approximately 156ml)
1 tsp grated lemon zest (or more, if you like)

Method
  1. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer, about 2 min. Slowly add the eggs and yolks. Beat for 1 min. Mix in the lemon juice. The mixture will look curdled, but it will smooth out as it cooks.
  2. In a medium, heavy-based saucepan, cook the mixture over low heat until it looks smooth (the curdled appearance disappears as the butter in the mixture melts.) Increase the heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 15 min. It should leave a path on the back of a spoon. Don't let the mixture boil.
  3. Remove the curd from the heat and stir in the lemon zest. Transfer the curd into a jar (I used an empty IXL jam jar and it filled up just right). Press plastic wrap on the surface of the lemon curd to keep a skin from forming and chill the curd in the refrigerator. The curd will thicken further as it cools. Covered tightly, it will keep in the refrigerator for a week and in the freezer for 2 months.

No comments: