Friday, July 17, 2009

Banana Chiffon III

I don't usually have left over bananas as all my 3 children loves bananas. After using up some for the banana muffins, I still have a 6 - 7 bananas waiting to be consumed. They are way too ripe to be eaten on it's own. With the intention of baking a cake for DS2's form teacher, I made a banana chiffon cake.


Original recipe calls for 4 egg yolks and 5 egg whites but I had 2 egg whites frozen together so I use them all. With the additional egg white, I have an extra smaller cake.

Also, after peeling the bananas, I realised I've got 200g of mashed bananas instead of 180g. I was feeling lazy and couldn't be bothered to remove that extra 20g.

My initial plan was to give the teacher the bigger cake but I made a boo-boo while unmoulding it. How can I possibly give away a cake that's "disfigured"?

Luckily I still have a smaller cake from the extra egg white so this cake went to the teacher instead.


Banana Chiffon Cake
Ingredients
(A)
4 egg yolks
40g castor sugar
1/4 tsp salt
40g corn oil
200g mashed bananas (I use the blender)

(B)
120g Cake flour
1/2 tbsp Baking powder
1/8 tsp Baking soda
*Sift 2x

(C)
6 egg whites
40g castor sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Method
  1. In a bowl, using hand whisk, whisk yolks and sugar till sugar dissolves.
  2. Add oil and salt, whisk and add mashed bananas. Stir well.
  3. Fold in sifted flour and mix well.
  4. In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat till the whites are frothy. Add in lemon juice and beat till soft peaks. Add in sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks.
  5. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture using a rubber spatula till incorporated.
  6. Pour the mixture to the remaining egg whites and fold in gently till incorporated.
  7. Pour the batter into a chiffon tube pan. Bang the pan on the table to get rid of bubbles.
  8. Oil a piece of aluminium foil and cover the pan loosely. Bake at 170 deg.C for 15mins.Turn down the temperature to 160 deg.C and bake for another 25 mins.
  9. Remove the foil and reduce the temperature to 150 deg.C and bake for another 10mins or till cake is cooked and nicely browned.
  10. Remove from the oven and invert the pan. Remove the cake from pan when it's completely cooled.

6 comments:

Chan Kwai Yong said...

Hi

Your banana chiffon cake look nice & spoongy.

I tried my own chiffon cake recipe without success like yours & always encountered sunken base & whole cake fall off when i invert the pan on the cooling rack. Wonder how you avoid this? I used 180 degree 35 mins at lowest rack with 8 inches mould.

I also wonder how you un-mould your cake using the without the loose base pan?

May i known also the dia. of your pan & at which level in the oven you bake your chiffon cake?

Lastly, how long you let the cake inverted?

Hope you can help me on the above as i also love making cakes & just can't get right on this particular cake.

Thanks

Regards
Ms Chan

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi Ms Chan,
From my limited understanding of chiffon baking, a sunken base = temp too high. But I've baked 2 cakes in the oven but one ok and the other sunken. So beats me..

I usually bake in my 8" round cake pan, lowest rack, using 4 egg yolks and 4 or 5 egg whites. For this, I usually need to bake for 50 - 60 mins. The cake is left to cool till room temperature before I unmould them. Using a butter knife, I run it around the side of the pan and the edge of the base, then invert to remove the cake, trying not to break/tear the base.

I suspect you may have underbaked your cake.

Anonymous said...

hello my friend,

Thanks so so so much for this recipe. I have never baked any chiffon before since I didn't have the chiffon pan till today. I gave it a try and it turned out so good ... yummy. It's so moist, so soft and fluffy and not very sweet which I really like. I would like to send you my appreciation.

Besh wishes,
Love to bake

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi Love to bake,
Thanks for dropping me a comment. I'm glad the cake turned out well for you and most importantly, you like it :)

Anonymous said...

hi, I read that u are a follower of rei's blog. me too, I followed her banana chiffon cake but wasn't satisfied with the taste until I came to read ur another banana chiffon cake 2 that u hav modified,and that now I am so happy to hear from ur experience. Good luck to ur baking. and Im 1 of ur follower!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

And also, I think u add wax paper at the bottom only so u wont have a pity chiffon cake..GOOD DAY!!Im sharee